Figs are in season.
Figs by themselves are delicious, but I have always wanted to incorporate figs into my dish. I have also been looking for breakfast alternatives that are nutritious and some thing I can prepare the night before.
Hello, overnight oats!
Overnight oats are straightforward. The idea is pretty simple, you take the rolled oats and soak them in milk, overnight, in the refrigerator.
Here is my basic formula:
Oats + Milk + Chia Seeds + Fruit + Nuts + Sweetener (optional)
I tried a couple of different combinations with fig, but found figs with walnuts and maple syrup are hard to beat.
So here it is!
Please let me know if you found other combinations that I should try. :)
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup almond milk, vanilla, unsweetened
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chia seeds
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, pieces
- 1⁄3 cup figs, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup, grade B
- 1⁄4 tsp. cinnamon, finely ground
- In a mason jar, pour unsweetened vanilla milk.
- Add rolled oats, cinnamon, and chia seeds
- Stir well
- Add nuts and fruits
- Drizzle maple syrup on the top
- Close the lid and refrigerate overnight
- Next morning, open the lid and dig in!
- You can always use some other sweetener or completely skip it